Sunday, January 2, 2011

Recycling

We live in a wasteful society. I know the desire to recycle has seen a resurgence lately, but if you save things and store them away for a rainy day, you are featured on Oprah and Dr. Phil and called a hoarder.

I guess I'm a hoarder of sorts. Don't judge me. I don't live in one of those houses that only has isles between the stacks of stuff. I try to incorporate the "garbage in, garbage out" rule. But there are certain things I have a very hard time throwing into the land fill. One of those would be beautiful calendars.

Some are so beautiful, I can't bring myself to write on them, and by the end of the year, they are still brand new, and I feel as though I haven't had sufficient chance to love the pictures enough. Old beautiful calendars are useless. They are outdated. The picture usually has a hole in the top center so you can't frame it. I never know what to do with them, so they usually get put away in a drawer, and I adopt Scarlett O'Hara's mantra, "I'll think about that tomorrow."

It is the start of the New Year. All my 2010 calendars are now outdated. I purchased only one this year, but I have 5 places I like to have a calendar. I got two from the grocery store that have pretty pictures of temples, but the main calendar, by the phone, has not been replaced. I just couldn't find one I loved enough to pay $15 plus shipping. 

Then a stroke of genius hit me. Yeah, you are way ahead of me. I went to the drawer and I actually found an old calendar (pictured above) that starts on the same day as 2011 does. It is the year 2000. I didn't look it up to see if there are more recent years that match up, I didn't need to, because I found this one and I LOVE it. 

So I went to my computer, brought up Word Perfect, typed 2011 and made the font match the calendar in color and size. Then I copy/pasted12 times, printed and cut them out to fit over the old year. I used some removable-type glue that scrap bookers use. 



And voila!



I have a new calendar. The days are not marked up, I kept it perfect. I have a new system now when I need to fill in an appointment. I use a sticky note.

update:You are probably already ahead of me. 2000 was a leap year, so by the end of February, I will not have a current calendar. heh. There is a great little chart somewhere on the internet I found, and now can't find that gives all the years that the calendar is the same, as in which years start on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. 

Its been a while since I've posted, sorry about that. My life has been very hectic for quite some time. But I am feeling like things are coming back to normal now.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and celebrated a fun New Year. God bless you all in 2011.

~a

1 comment:

Sailor said...

There is thrifty and clever, and there is hoarding. I like you the way you are. Just right.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

*