Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Receiving Blanket tutorial

If you make something with this tutorial leave a comment with a link to your blog so we can all see your good works!


I've had a request for a tutorial on making this receiving blanket.

I got the pattern from a friend. It was originally made at a now out-of-business sewing center in Utah. It still gives credit to the makers on the pattern.

To print the pattern, first click on the pattern. This should take you to a new window which will enlarge the picture. Now right click on the pattern. You will get a menu that says copy image, click on that. Then open your word perfect and paste it into your wp. I would save it at that point, then print. Or you can just click on the pattern which will bring it to a new page, then if you are in Firefox browser, you can click "file" in the upper left hand corner and scroll down to print preview. This will show you what it will look like in the final printed picture. If it fits the page, then click print. If not, scale down from 100% to something else that produces one page that is readable.

Now for making the blanket:


Choose two complimentary fabrics. Decide which will be back and which front. Square up edge and cut 1.25 yard for the back and 1 yard of front fabric. Remove salvage edges and cut front piece into a yard square.




Because the fabric comes off the bolt in approximately 45 inches and you have cut off approximately 1-2 inches to remove salvage it is then necessary to make sure this piece is square.





Fold the back (larger) piece into fourths. With all four corners together, place on cutting board and measure six inches from corner either way. Mark and cut that corner off diagonally.




Fold the diagonal corner piece with right sides together in half






and stitch from fold to within 1/4 inch from edge. Leave 1/4 inch unstitched. BE SURE TO BACK STITCH AT EACH END OF THIS SEAM. When all four are done, the 1/4 inch will naturally fold inside. This will be your frame.





Turn right sides out and lay flat on floor, then put the yard front piece inside the frame. 
 


Pin the 1/4 inch under on all sides.


 Carefully stitch 1/8 inch from the edge the 1//4 inch turned under.












To keep the two pieces from separating in wash and wear, measure in 12 inches from all sides, mark with pins or a disappearing ink and sew another square in the middle of the blanket

Congratulations! You have made a receiving blanket in a little under an hour. 


Shorter time than it took to upload these photos and write this blog. There you go Jenny!

If you want this to be a softer heaver blanket rather than receiving blanket, you can cut a piece of batting the size of the finished "frame" and tuck it inside, then add the top and stitch sewing through all layers as you tuck the 1/4 inch under. I would tie or quilt the inside so the batting doesn't lump up during use and washing.


Feel free to email me at
annieofbluegables [at] gmail [dot] com
if you have any questions regarding this post.
have a great day.
~a

additional note: You can do it with any size quilt or blanket, square or rectangle. Just as long as the borders of the backing is equally larger than the blanket top. For example, in the original pattern, if your quilt top measures 36" x 36" and the backing measures 45" x 45", the back is 4.5" inches larger on all sides. So for the quilt you are making make your backing 9" bigger than the size of your quilt. So if your quilt measures 45" x 70", then make the backing 54" x 79"
If you want your quilt 36" x  45" then make the backing 45" x  54"

9 comments:

Sailor said...

Hi Friend,

That is a great tutorial! I wish they did car repair instructions 1/1000th as well. Love you much Talented Lady <3

jennycooks said...

Thank you for your time in posting this Annie! How very kind of you - I can't wait to try it soon!

Arlette said...

Annie, thanks for your support. I wish I felt flattered about what happened but I simply don't. I have a google translate button on my blog which I believe she used to translate it to her language. She then copied and pasted and stuck it up on her blog. Oh, well, it's not the end of the world but I would love to see it removed.
Thank you for your blanket tutorial. I hope to make a blanket like this one day soon. I babysit my nieces daughter on Wednesdays and this would be a perfect project for me to make for her. Thank you again!
Aloha!

Kelly said...

Thanks for posting the tutorial, I'm in the process of trying it out with a few minor changes. I'm so glad people like you are willing to share your creativity, it helps those of us that are still in the beginning stages of learning how to sew.

Kelly said...

I've finished the Receiving Blanket/Quilt and have posted it on my blog. I've linked your tutorial to my page. Thanks again.

Kelly said...

Annie, I just became a grandma and have been using your pattern to make mini quilts. The mitered corners are so easy which makes the final stages of quilting much more enjoyable.
Feel free to take a look:

http://kreationsbykelly.blogspot.com/search/label/Baby%20Items

Mary Ann said...

Your slide show tutorial is really, really cool! I love it!! Thank you sew much for sharing during Toot-torial Tuesdays at RocknQuilts.blogspot.com!

Annie of Blue Gables said...

I cannot edit this from my iPad.
I gave you the wrong email address

annieofbluegables121 [at] gmail [dot] com

Quenataucus Corner said...

The One Thing to Do for Best Weighted Blankets Secondly, there's the issue of price on best weighted blanket for adults.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

*