Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Contemplating my slipperszzzzzzzzzZZZZ

I can't remember when exactly it was that I announced my son was engaged and they had upped the wedding to October from the original plan of June of next year, and I began to sew a dress for the little bride, but it seems like a huge long time ago. I could check back in my blogs, but that would mean saving this and finding my way back out and back into this post, and that could spell disaster, since I get distracted way too easily.

So anyway, he re-met her in July, he had known of her for years as her cousin was his best friend and I think it was August he announced the marriage, and maybe September he announced the change of dates and asked me to make her dress, about two months ago. But since that announcement, my world has been turned upside down with trying to meet deadlines.

Now since all the hoopla is finally over, I am exhausted. My body tried to pull a fast one on me and come down with a cold last week at their reception, but a great trick from DIL-1 worked. Take 2 Mucinex (I use the WM house brand) every four hours along with Sudafed PE. I guess the Mucinex breaks up any mucus, and the Sudafed dries it up. You still have other symptoms, like headache and scratchy throat and extreme tiredness, but you can keep going, especially when you add Excedrin to the mix.
So this last week as I have tried to fight off the cold and continue to get ready for our reception, I continued to make sheet cakes (I made 5 of them and we only used two or three), clean the house, change bed sheets, etc. etc. etc.

The Saturday reception came off without a hitch, thanks to DIL-3's family and my own pitching in to decorate the Cultural Hall, and help with set up and clean up. We got to bed around midnight, I think. Sunday after Church, we came home and my sweetheart made two casseroles from the dutch oven left overs he had made for the crowd the day before. Yes I know, I have the best husband in the WORLD who sweetly cooks for the crowds. I had to conduct our Women's Relief Society meeting on Sunday (being in a counselor in the Presidency~makes me have to do such things) and was gone while everyone else went home.

We all had a delicious dinner and two of the remaining couples (D2 and S3 and spouses) left, and we continued to visit with D2 and her sweetheart until around 5. They looked at the clock and realized it was time to get back as well.

As soon as they left, I turned on the news, because my choir director, Sterling Poulson on Channel 2 does the weekend weather. He is such a very nice man and is married to such a darling lady, Danette who is a Dear Friend to me, and sits by me in choir. So I try watch him. It's always fun because usually when he slips in references to our town, which I have noticed other stations don't even put on their map with a temperature next to it, and sometimes blatantly says stuff that I know refers to me. One time he said on the weather: "And down here in (name of my town) where (my name and my husband's name) live, the temperature is 55 degrees. He has made reference to my town many times, especially for Tuesday when I come up 2 1/2 hours drive to practice in the choir. He will say something like "Now, if you are going to be driving from (my town) today, watch for the rain clouds which will be forming around 4 pm. So drive safely."

Anyway I eased into my lazy-boy, put my feet up and snuggled in. Sweet Friend brought me a blanket and tucked me in, and I warned him that was a dangerous thing to do. Next thing I knew I was out. I think I slept for 3 hours while "watching" TV. My Dear Friend is the one who invented the quote which I used to name this post. She described the hard work her husband had been putting in, and said that Sunday he just collapsed, completely exhausted into his easy chair, and spent the afternoon contemplating his slippers. I cannot think of a better way to put it. ha ha ha ha

Monday was clean-up day. I washed bedsheets, towels, dishes, cleaned etc. etc, Again! Don't you hate when you work all week for company and just after they leave, you have to do it all over again? Even the leaves I raked, mowed and blew with the leaf blower have somehow showed up again. Of course I am not surprised, my neighbor's huge Poplar trees (about 100 feet high) like to hold onto their leaves until the coldest ice and strongest wind forces them off. And so the raking is not just a Saturday afternoon thing, it is an "all Fall" event.

So if you haven't heard from me in a while, this is why. I am just exhausted.

But there is no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need it, as my husband is fond of saying. I have a Relief Society Homemaking event on Wednesday which I will make a pot of soup for, and give the rest of the wedding cake to. I have Thanksgiving coming. We will have S2 and family come, so I want to put up the Christmas tree and have presents for the children under there. And I have a concert on my Birthday December 1. After that Christmas is well on its way, and the person whose name I drew probably won't get a completed quilt, like last year and the year before went. But thankfully my understanding children know me and forgive. Last year, the person I drew the year before got theirs, and the current person got a top which I have to finish. They have to develop patience when it comes to my procrastination, I think. Thank you children.

And so life continues. You haven't heard from me in a while because I have been busy, and true to the schedule, it is Tuesday and time to head to choir practice.
I hope you are all having a very nice day.


Sailor said...

Hi Dear Annie,
It is always fun to tuck one of your warm soft quilts around you and let you nap.

And, for the record, I think my quote is that there is no rest for the wicked and no time to repent....

It has been a really busy time, but in a good way. I am sure things will slow down going into the holidays, and we will have a lot of nice Sunday afternoon naps...... :)

RisibleGirl said...

Sailor and Annie- I like BOTH quotes (Annie's version and yours). :)

I think coming down with an illness is very natural after pushing yourself so hard. When you're pushing, your body naturally produces adrenaline to keep it going. Once the stress is over, the adrenaline is gone and your body is left to deal with the aftermath.

PS- I'm not a doctor- just play one on the Internet. ;)

Now relax for a good long while. Christmas is coming and you'll need energy for shopping!


Related Posts with Thumbnails